iHealthCast

image image image image image image image image image image

You can Follow Us,
Ask our Doctor and
Give Us Feedback at:

facebook  twitter  feed  newsletter

Bone Health – Time to Bone Up on Vitamin K

What did the researchers recently report they discovered when they looked at 200 elderly individuals? They found that the higher the vitamin K intake, the higher the bone density. However, the problem is that we get vitamin K from vegetables and the friendly bacteria in your gut. The challenge is only 11% of Americans eat 5 to 7 servings of fresh veggies and fruit. To make things worse, due to chlorinated water, antibiotic use medicinally and antibiotics in our food supply, our guts are all too often not up to the task of producing sufficient vitamin K; so I have observed in my clinical practice of almost 20 years.

There exists two primary forms of vitamin K: phylloquinone (vitamin K1) which is found in green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli and spinach. Vitamin K1 comprises upwards of 90 per cent of the vitamin K in the typical American diet. On the other hand menaquinones (vitamins K2), makes up the remaining 10 per cent of vitamin K consumed and made in the gut by microflora.

Bottomline: As you have heard from me before, it is of paramount importance to eat your veggies. They deliver fiber, antioxidants, phytonutrients and nourish the body well. Now there is yet another reason to sit down and get serious about cleaning your plate when it comes to veggies, your bones are counting on it. A good multivitamin usually contains some vitamin K; I also tell my patients that friend flora on a daily basis is a strong consideration for all those serious about long term wellness. Note: Those taking Coumadin/warfarin, a certain kind of blood thinner or those with clotting disorders should not take vitamin K unless approved by their doctor.

newsletter

Health Tips On the Go!

Improve Posture

  • 1.Avoid slouching. Be aware of your posture as you walk, sit, and drive, keep shoulders squared and head pulled back and up.

  • 2.Imagine a thread pulling the top of your head toward the ceiling. Visualization can help improve your sense of position.

  • 3.If your job requires you to sit for long periods, take frequent breaks to stand, stretch and shake it out.

  • 4.Maintain a strong core to help support proper posture. Add core-training exercises to your daily routine.

  • 5.A firm mattress and ergonomic pillow help achieve proper back support while you sleep, so you'll stand straighter in the a.m.

Physician's Blogs

Health Reference

Open for Text and Video

PageTop | Home